The normally masterful Marlowe is in the dark about the events that are happening all around him and it is great reading along because just like him you have almost no idea what will happen next.
Highlights from chapters III to XI
* Having been recruited to find the blackmailer Geiger and find out what he wants from the Sherwood family Marlowe discovers by trailing one of his customers that he is dealing in erotic books
* He waits and finally picks up the trial of Geiger and follow shim home and then waits because he gets a sixth sense that something else is going to happen and sure enough some shots are fired and Marlowe ends up breaking into the house
“Neither of the two people in the room paid any attention to the way I came in, although only one of them was dead.”
* Geiger is dead with three shots and the Sherwood daughter is naked on the couch having her photo taken she is drugged and totally unaware of what has happened around her so Marlow tidies up and finds a book with a list of Geiger’s customers
* Marlowe takes her home after discovering that there is no film left in the camera and then after dropping her off heads back but discovers after letting himself back into the house that the place has been tidied up and the body has gone
* There is no mention of the death in the papers and he is called by a friend in the DA’s office who tells him that the Sherwood’s car has been found in a lake and sure enough when they get there the chauffeur is inside dead